Tuesday, November 17, 2009

THE Coupon Mama!

So, a few of you have been asking about my couponing experiences the past month or so, and I am FINALLY sitting down to blog about it. I am far from an expert (there are some people who feed large families for under a dollar a week!!!) but I will give you the tips that I have on how I have saved so much money. I owe all of this to my friend Lauren who started posting pictures of her groceries and receipts on facebook. She was spending next to nothing for a lot of yummy looking food!

So. How do I do it? Well, my main source is http://www.southernsavers.com/. This is a fantastic website that lists many of the stores (in the South!) and what their weekly specials are, and what coupons are out there that can be matched up with the deals. The key is to start a stockpile of coupons from the Sunday paper. I also get a special Thursday paper that also has coupons inside. Publix has weekly B1G1 (buy one get one) deals. You do not have to buy both products to get the savings. They actually ring up at half price. For these B1G1 deals, you can also use TWO coupons (one for each product) Publix is a fantastic store to use your coupons. They will double coupons (unless specified not to) up to 50 cents. They also accept competitor store coupons and you can use these store coupons WITH a manufacturers coupon. For instance, last night I had a 50 cents off one bag of chex mix coupon from target. This coupon was doubled to $1 off. I also had a manufacturers coupon for 50 cents off (not to be doubled, per the coupon). They had their bag of chex mix on sale for (around) $1.67. So I paid 17 cents for a bag of chex mix!

I do find that Kroger usually has the better price on meats. If I am buying a lot of meat (and milk...they usually have great milk prices!) then I will make two trips. I live one mile from Publix and less than a mile from Kroger, so this is economical for me and still save money, rather than spending gas money to get from one to the other! That may not work for everyone!

I now try to only buy things I have a coupon for and, unless I have coupons that add up to make a product free, I won't buy something JUST because I have a coupon for it. I will also still comparison shop. For instance, I had a 60 cent off coupon for mayo last night, but that still made the name brand more expensive than store brand so I bought the Publix mayo instead.

Publix does have a Sunday and Monday special every week. It is their mystery coupon and most stores do not require you to have the actual coupon...check with your local store to see if you need it. Last night, I got a pack of hotdogs for 1 penny! The week before was a container of oatmeal. I have also gotten four rolls of toilet paper for only 1 cent.

The website I mentioned saves YOU from having to go through each weekly ad and comparing what coupons you have, etc. AND, it also gives you links to printable coupons. She will only write out the best deals of each weekly and will list what items you can walk away with for FREE! Last night, I got two packages of gravy mix, a container of softsoap, some zantac, and a box of cereal for free. I also paid next to nothing for the hotdogs, chex mix, BATTERIES!!, juicy juice and produce, to name a few.

Going to the store is actually quite fun for me now! I love hearing the total, then handing over my coupons and just watching the savings add up. I spent $34 last night for a weeks worth of groceries (plus some!) and spent $43! So nice!

Like I said, I am far from an expert....but these are the tips that I use. I do still have to be loyal to some name brands because of Caleb's allergies. In fact, I have emailed some of those companies complimenting their products and they have sent coupons in the mail! let me know if you have any questions, and I will be happy to try and help you save as much as I have!!

6 comments:

  1. OK, so I have to ask...do you have to spend a lot of time on this site getting everything straightened out, such as what to buy & where to buy it? I love the concept, but am just curious how much prep-time you spend getting organized. I'd love to try this...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does take some time to get started and get used to it. After that, I would say I spend about an hour a week (sometimes more, but that is only because I keep going back to it....it isn't necessary) getting my list together, finding the coupons and checking my two stores for the best deals. By checking the stores, I just mean looking at the coupon website and comparing prices for the things I need produce and meat wise. I think once I get even more used to it, I wont even have to spend an hour.

    I will say that I could not do this (at least not yet, as I am still getting used to finding the things in the store and really comparing store brand, etc.) with Caleb in the cart! It does take a little more time to get through the store. Again, that could just be me being anal and looking at every single brand (LOL) but it takes me more time at the actual store than it used to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to admit - I've been very impressed at how you have really stuck with this and you've done a great job! But, I have to clarify for everyone - you spent $34 and SAVED $43! WTG!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I HAVE to do this. The woman in front of me in Publix spent $46 and saved $50. I didn't even care that it took an eon to ring her up... I was in awe!

    Considering the fact that we are up to 3 gallons of milk every 6 days... and last night we had french toast (10 slices), eggs (12 total) and sausage. To go through 12 eggs for 1 meal was impressive... What the heck is it going to be like when the boys are 10 and the girls are 4 and 5?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tami - I enjoyed your post!! I promise that you won't be spending an hour a week prepping for your shopping trip! I take both boys with me when I go!! :) Just went to Publix and paid $68 for $230 worth of groceries!! I had not been to the grocery store in 3 weeks because I had so much food at home! We also do the ECB at CVS, si we typically just pick up milk there -- you know, since it's free!! :)
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren - You are awesome!! Good job on the last shopping trip! I need to study the CVS and Walgreens tips. I still just don't "get" it. I have seen people can save a ton there, I just don't understand how. AND FREE MILK!?!? I must figure it out!

    ReplyDelete