Thursday, June 3, 2010

Glimpses of the Past


Since day one of starting my job at Brenau University, every now and then a smell, a picture or the distinct creak of the Alpha Chi steps will open a floodgate of memories of my time spent here as a student. As a part of my job of conducting summer camps, I have to do a walk-thru of each building on campus every year before the first camp starts. While a very tedious task, it is actually one of my favorite parts of working here. Why? Well, you will have to continue reading to find out.


I began conducting my walk-thrus this morning. Sometimes, I have to catch my breath or just laugh because if feels as if something out of a movie. Case in point, the long, currently empty and quiet (except for the aforementioned creaking) Alpha Chi front stairway that I walked down this morning. For just a brief moment while I was walking down the steps, the area transformed into a loud and crowded gathering point. I saw Kristen, holding our cordless telephone (not a cellphone!) in her hands, probably talking or singing. I saw Katie and Lindsay in their room at the top of the stairs...Katie with her LONG, flowing locks of blond hair. I could hear Eryn's voice in the background, and saw dried macaroni left randomly in the middle of the floor from her cooking. I also saw Emmie, probably playing some sort of a prank on someone. Most of all, that empty stairwell today was filled with laughter. It was never an easy task to walk up those stairs without stopping. There were usually a few sisters sitting on the top of the steps, and it was very hard to pass them without joining in on their conversation.

(one of the many random things you could find at the top of the stairs...)

(always something to do in the Alpha Chi House)

It's really funny that each place on this campus still smells the same. Yonah Hall still smells the same as it did the very first day I moved into Yonah 101 as a freshman. Not a horrible smell, but just a distinct smell that I cannot describe with words. I can't walk into Yonah 1st without thinking of the fun times I spent on that hall. Man, we sure were carefree back then! Strawberries lined the doors and walls along the hall...we called it the Strawberry Patch because so many of my hallmates joing the ZTA house that year. I can see myself rushing to dance class, having to pass Casey and Melissa's room on the way. Don't let those sweet innocent girls fool you. They were the number one reason that I would SKIP a ballet class! When I did skip ballet, they always had some sort of fun adventure or activity that I would much rather go on or be a part of. So. many. memories.


(porch time)


Many of the halls or areas on campus may look different now, but if I try really hard, I can see it...and it looks exactly the same as it did when I was here as a student. Every year when students move in or out of their dorm, I see my college friends. I see Karri and Amanda across campus...running towards me laughing. I hear Cessna calling my name (I should say nickname, that I still don't like!) from Crudup front porch. I see Laura sitting on the ZTA porch while I am out on the AXO porch, and I do believe we were attempting to have some sort of a conversation from right where we were. I see so many distinct memories that I will always treasure so dear to my heart, and I just hope that those students moving in or out will have similar memories and similar stories when they are my age.


Well, I must get back to work. More walk thru's to conduct. More memories that I am sure will come back to me and make me laugh this afternoon. I am so lucky to have such fond memories of my college days. I truly don't think you can get that at just any college....so thanks to all my "Brenau Girls" for giving me so many things to smile about every day when I "see" you at work!


5 comments:

  1. I love this, Tami. :) It makes me happy-sad. I love Brenau.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha! It made me a little happy-sad, too! My how things have changed....totally for the better, but still different! Those were the days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! makes me smile and think back to my time on campus. As much as I used you as my sounding board, mentor, sister, and friend for all the things I did not like about our Alma mater, I still had many wonderful memories.

    Do you remember that time we did walk thru's of Bailey and you guy's hid in the back room and jumped out to scare me!!! Oh camp brenau...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow....lots of memories. In some ways it seems like ages ago, but if I walked those halls with you, it'd probably take me right back like yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those were definitely good times! Some of my fondest memories are somehow related to Brenau. Thanks for sharing some of your memories, TAMSTER! Hehe :-)

    ReplyDelete